Monday, November 12, 2012

First Day of Training

    Apparently some of my fellow teachers were not use to waking up "early" and leaving at 8 am. That being sleeping-in for me, it was easy to get up and start the day. The first thing on the agenda was our required medical test at KMI (pretty much a hospital). The bus driver was kind enough to drop us off a few blocks away and take off again without any directions. Being the clueless foreigners we are, we went into the closest building. That was a bust. Panicked, we ran around the area in a giant loop before finally finding the KMI building; which had the smallest sign on a third story window I have ever seen.   
    Inside was a hustle and bustle of patients and employees. It seemed like the male nurses wore blue scrubs while the women wore dashing bright orange; however this was not the case. Surprise! We were told to don this attire for our medical exams. We were shuffled about to each testing station looking like escaped convicts. I wish that the whole thing was on film because I don't think any American would be able to believe it. They checked vitals, did x-rays, drew blood, EKG-ed us, did interviews, did drug tests, did hearing tests, did a dental check, and all this happened in a matter of an hour or so! Not to put in a political plug, but if Obamacare continues its path, this efficiency could hit the US in 10 to 20 years. It was all rather impressive. Afterwards we went to the Chungdahm Training Center. *I should also note that one boy is now quarantined from training due to pinkeye...... that sucks
    Orientation answered many of our logistical questions and gave us an insight into what this week will hold. Basically, we should expect intensity. We have roughly three days to learn an entire binder's worth of information. People have done it though, so it can't be impossible. I have also found out that I'll be teaching lower-level students; which means younger kids!!!! I'm so excited. That pretty much sums up what orientation was to be honest. They told us we are going to have a lot of homework, so I'm going to try and get ahead tonight (those of you who went to school with me: yes, you heard me correctly, I'm going to do something before the last minute).      
   We did have to take the subway back from the Training Center to the hotel, and we will be now be doing this as our mode of transport. Although Colorado doesn't have a subway system, and I've only had some experience in Chicago and D.C., I feel more confident than some of the others I'm with. I think that subway is pretty easy to figure out, but it was a big ordeal to get everyone to calm down. Herding cats really. lol. Nevertheless made it and am now sitting peacefully in my room.
   Tomorrow will be the first test of my real subway skills as I head off to training. I'm nervous, but looking forward to figuring out exactly what I'll be doing the rest of this year. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one going to my school. It's also the least populated area anyone is going to. Gangneung is about 200,00 people compared to Seoul which is 20 million. Quite a difference I say! :)


Nice to blog with you,
     <3 Stine
        

No comments:

Post a Comment